Recognising signs of abuse:
Is your relationship abusive? Symptoms of an abusive relationship may include one or more of the following:
- physical violence including suicide threats
- isolation which begins by monopolising the partner’s attention
- gradual ‘falling out’ with partner’s support network
- jealousy - asking a partner to prove their loyalty
- controlling behaviour – controlling a partner’s friends and activities
- constant criticism and put-downs
- one person’s needs dismissed or minimised
Individual counselling may benefit the victim. This can help them detach themselves from the partner’s behaviour.
Counselling can help restore self-esteem and re-examine healthy ways of relating.
Issues in ending an abusive relationship.