A family is a ‘system’, but the rules and expectations of each one are unique and complex and often seen differently by each member of the family. It is through examining what the explicit and hidden ‘rules’ might be in each family and how they are seen and interpreted by each member that therapeutic work might commence. One of the dilemmas of modern family life can undoubtedly be the conflict of being an individual and remaining and existing within the family system.
Reasons for counselling for family issues may be:
- disruption after separation or divorce or a new partner moving in
- problems with step-family life
- problems with adolescents or older children
- children leaving home
- unwanted pregnancy
Therapeutic work may explore:
- exploration of the current problem
- how it is perceived by different members including the client
- ways of dealing with past problems
- parenting issues
- family dynamics and personalities
- communication styles within the family
- how the family functions emotionally
At Castle Counselling Services we can offer you a safe, secure, confidential and non-judgemental space in which to consider any family issues you may be experiencing. We can assist you in clarifying what the issues are and then focus on solutions. Therapy can help with self-reflection for you, and can increase your self-awareness of your individualised family dynamics. Issues may might be explored may relate to one incident or a repeated pattern of behaviour.